If you haven’t lived in New York before, relocation to the concrete jungle can make you confused and stressed. Relocation itself can be a stressful process, for different reasons. First of all, leaving your home and starting all new is sometimes confusing. Furthermore, the physical part of relocation leaves us overwhelmed. That’s why it’s important to prepare and make the moving process as smooth as possible. That’s why we prepared a couple of tips on how to make moving to New York easier so you can truly enjoy your arrival in this amazing city.
Start your move on time
Moving house doesn’t only mean packing your bags and leaving. It includes a lot of steps, so you need to be sure to start on time. If you have enough time to pack and prepare for the move, you will be less stressed and in a hurry – and that means an easy relocation. We recommend starting planning your relocation a couple of months in advance, especially if you have a bigger home and a family.
Make a schedule
Write down a list of tasks you need to do and check them as you finish. Also, be sure to write the day and time until it needs to be done, so you can have a moving schedule which will make relocation less messy and way easier.
Get to know your neighborhood
When moving to a new home, it’s important to get to know the area a bit before the move. For example, if you decided on living in Soho, NYC, be sure to do some research on the areas main parts and advantages. If possible, visit the place and take a look where the nearest restaurants and shops are, in case you need them on the very first day after the move. If you can’t visit, be sure to research it online.
Downsize your home
To make the move and packing easier (and cheaper) it’s a good idea to downsize your home. Relocation is the perfect opportunity to see if everything you have needs to go with you to the new house. Even if you are moving to a larger home, be sure to declutter and remove the items that are broken, old or you simply don’t use them. If you are moving to a smaller home, this step is absolutely necessary. However, don’t throw them away. Think about donating and recycling – great advice for an eco-friendly move.
To make moving to New York easier, you need to pack your items wisely. Here’s how to do it:
- Pack items room by room – It will be easier to unpack later.
- Label everything – Be sure to label each box with the room it goes to and the items inside. Simply, use a marker and write down “Office – books” or “Bedroom – pillowcases” so it is easy to find these items later on. Furthermore, label the box ‘fragile’ if it contains breakables.
- Protect your items – Be sure to use a lot of packing protection – paper, linens, towels, etc.
- Heavy items go first – It’s best to put heavier items on the bottom of a box, and lighter on the top.
- Don’t over pack the boxes – Moving boxes that are too heavy are difficult to carry and can make the moving to New York much more difficult and risky.
- Have enough packing supplies – Packing will be a lot easier if you prepare your packing supplies, so be sure to find sturdy moving boxes, scissors, tape, markers, packing paper, a dolly, etc.
- Professionals do it better – If you are not sure how to safely pack your belongings, be sure to get professional packing and unpacking assistance in NYC. It will save you a lot of time and energy, and be as easy and safe as possible.
Pack a first-day kit
After all the work is done and you arrived at your new home in New York, the last thing you want to do is unpacking and looking through all boxes for your essentials. That’s why it’s great to pack a first-day kit and have that box handy at all times. Be sure to include the things you will need on your first day and night in the new house. Cosmetics, medications, chargers, etc.
Hire professionals to make moving to New York easier
Doing everything by yourself can be overwhelming. That’s why you should consider getting help from someone who knows what they are doing. Moving companies like Big Apple Movers NYC know the city well and will choose the best route to your apartment. Also, they have experience with NYC relocation, so they know the safest and easiest way to transport and deliver your items. Trusting someone who knows the moving routine will make the whole process less stressful.
Ask your moving company to be the first
If you want to make moving to New York easier, it’s important that everything is done on time. That’s why it’s wise to ask the moving company to handle your move the first, so you don’t need to wait for them in case something happens with the previous customer.
Arriving at the new home
Living in New York usually means you don’t need a car. And you don’t. However, when the moving day comes, you may not be able to get to your new home by the movers’ van. Using public transport is not that convenient since you will probably carry some bags or boxes with you. That’s why consider renting a car for that day or asking some of your friends or family to drive you. This way you will be more comfortable and you can bring more items – we definitely recommend keeping valuables with you, rather than in the moving vehicle.
Is moving easy?
Well, it can be. It’s definitely not a piece of cake, but with the right strategy, you can make moving to New York easier. Just take a deep breath and plan your steps in advance, and you can definitely make it!